Monthly Archives: November 2011

Man Beats up Mother for Not Giving Him Kool-Aid

11/29/11 – LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Louisville Metro Police arrested a man Monday morning after they said he attacked his mother over a glass of Kool-Aid.

According to arrest records, 35-year-old Lequan Washington became angry when his mother told him to go get his own glass of Kool-Aid that she had already prepared.

Police said Washington punched and stomped on his mother then left the home, then came back later and kicked a glass screen window out.

According to police, Washington said his mother was upset that he asked for a glass of Kool-Aid and fired a shot from a gun at him, but missed.

Police said they did not find any evidence to support Washington’s claim, but did find damaged property that the victim reported.

Washington was charged with fourth-degree assault.

Source Article

Lequan Washington Kool-Aid

Cotto & Margarito Differ on Boxing Code

By the fifth round of his fight against Manny Pacquiao, it was apparent it would take a miracle for Antonio Margarito to win. By the eighth, his right eye looked worse than Rocky Balboa’s ever did in the movies. And by the 12th round of that Nov. 13, 2010, bout in Arlington, Texas, there was a lot of concern among those at ringside about Margarito’s eyesight.

Margarito, though, didn’t give up. He didn’t quit. He never thought about it. Nor did he retreat in an effort to avoid Pacquiao’s lightning fast combinations that were, quite literally, busting up his face.

“I am a fighter and real fighters don’t quit,” Margarito growled. “I was there to give the people what they want to see. They came to see a fight and I was giving it to them.”

The lust for violence is why Margarito’s bout against Cotto for the World Boxing Association super Saturday at Madison Square Garden in New York figures to be a pay-per-view hit. People remember their savage 2008 bout in Las Vegas and know how the rivalry between them has only increased tenfold in the intervening three-and-a-half years.

The dislike between the men is real and deep. Cotto has come to believe that Margarito wore hand wraps filled with plaster when they fought the first time. At the filming of a promotional piece for HBO, Cotto pulled out his iPad to show Margarito and host Max Kellerman a close-up of Margarito’s ungloved hand, which he said was proof that Margarito’s wraps were loaded.

Cotto makes no bones about the fact that he plans to target Margarito’s right eye. After the Pacquiao fight, Margarito required several surgeries to repair the injuries he suffered. At one point, before he visited ophthalmologist Alan Crandall, Margarito planned to retire because he was essentially blind in the eye.

Margarito had a broken orbital bone and he had new lens implanted. In addition, he developed a cataract and that needed to be removed surgically.

It led to last week’s dog-and-pony show, in which they New York State Athletic Commission made Margarito jump through hoops before issuing him a license to fight.

The question is, when is enough in a fight enough? Boxers often say they would die in the ring in a bid to win, which is no more than bravado. They want to die in a boxing ring about as much as they want to drive their car into a concrete wall at 120 miles per hour.

Margarito, though, holds firmly to the code of the warrior and says he’d never quit. Cotto scoffed at such talk.

“We have personal lives. We have families. We have people who love us and who depend upon us,” Cotto said. “It’s ridiculous [to say you’d die in the ring]. My health is the most important thing in my life. I have kids and they depend upon me. The reason I’m doing this is my kids. It’s stupid to say you would [be willing to die].”

Margarito trainer Robert Garcia sees such comments as a sign that Cotto doesn’t have the fire he once had, when he was one of boxing’s brightest prospects following the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.

Garcia said the fundamental difference between Margarito and Cotto at this stage of their careers comes down to this: If each boxer was a fireman, Margarito would run into a burning building to save the occupants. Cotto would not.

“Cotto is a warrior, a great fighter,” Garcia said. “But to tell you the truth, when I saw what he said on [HBO’s] ‘Faceoff,’ when he talked about fighting nowhere else [but New York], he’s thinking like a businessman. He’s down to his last few big paydays. He’s thinking of his family, and his kids, and that’s the way a real person thinks. But I’m around fighters 24/7 and they’re different. They all know the risks of the job. They accept the risks as part of it.

“If you are a fireman and there is a burning building with people in it who need to be saved, you don’t stand outside and say, ‘I’m not going in because I have to think of my kids.’ It’s your job. You take the risk and go in, because that’s your job. As a fighter, you go into a dangerous situation, but you do everything possible to win, because that’s your job. You know what the risks are when you become a boxer, but you do it because it’s your job.”

Cuts and bruises and welts will heal over time. Those are, indeed, part of the occupational hazard. Their willingness to accept exceptional amounts of punishment is why each man is going to make several million dollars from Saturday’s fight. They’ll endure the kind of violence most of us could never imagine, let alone take.

But it’s hard not to side with Cotto when he notes that there comes a point where it is no longer wise to fight on. Cotto took a knee in the 11th round of their first fight, clearly realizing he was in a futile battle he would not win.

Cotto will make $5 million plus a percentage of the pay-per-view profits from Saturday’s bout. Margarito will earn $2.5 million as well as a share of the pay-per-view proceeds.

It’s a lot of money and they’ll each take a lot of abuse to earn it. That’s OK. That’s part of what they signed up for in the first place. But when it comes to long-term damage, it’s another matter entirely. In that regard, Cotto has it right.

“I fight as hard as I can, with all of my skill and my condition and my courage,” he said. “And I know what happens when you are in a fight. You receive punishment. It’s part of the job. But to fight [on] when the chance is there that I won’t be able to see my kids, to spend time with my family? No. That’s just crazy talk at that point.”

Source Article by Kevin Iole for Yahoo Sports

Margarito and Cotto Staredown picture

Did Wyclef Jean Steal Haiti Charity Money?

12/27/11 – In the months following the devastating earthquake in Haiti, a charity run by hip-hop star Wyclef Jean spent a pittance of the money it took in on disaster relief and doled out millions in questionable contracts.

Yele Haiti’s coffers swelled to $16 million in 2010, the most the charity had ever received. But less than a third of that went to emergency efforts, and $1 million was paid to a Florida firm that doesn’t seem to exist, The Post has learned.

Jean’s charity, which he founded in 2005 with his cousin Jerry Duplessis, was already troubled when the earthquake struck Haiti on Jan. 12, 2010. The Post reported in 2008 that it had never filed a required tax form detailing its spending with the IRS.

The group lost $244,000 in 2009. But hours after the earthquake hit, Jean took to Twitter to beg for $5 donations. An avalanche of donations poured in.

Almost immediately, allegations surfaced that the former Fugees singer had used the charity’s cash for his own benefit. Critics found that four years earlier Yele Haiti had steered $250,000 to a Haitian TV station controlled by Jean and Duplessis.

Jean held a Jan. 18, 2010, press conference to tearfully defend Yele Haiti’s reputation.

“Have we made mistakes before? Yes,” Jean said. “Did I ever use Yele money for personal benefits? Absolutely not. Yele’s books are open and transparent.”

The earthquake killed between 200,000 and 300,000 Haitians and left a million homeless. The country is still in the grip of a cholera epidemic.

For all the desperation, records show that Yele Haiti spent just $5.1 million for emergency relief efforts, including food and water delivery to makeshift survivor camps, according to a review of the charity’s 2010 tax filings, which were obtained by The Post.

Yele Haiti paid five contractors to accomplish its goals, including P&A Construction — which received $353,983 and is run by Warnel Pierre, the brother of Jean’s wife, Claudinette.

A purported Miami business called Amisphere Farm Labor Inc. received a whopping $1,008,000 as a “food distributor.”

No trace of the company could be found last week in the Sunshine State, but records show the company’s head, Amsterly Pierre, bought three properties in Florida last year, including a condo in an upscale waterfront community.

The firm incorporated in August 2008 but never filed any of the subsequent financial paperwork required to do business in Florida, according to the Florida Department of State.

The address listed for the business is an auto-repair shop in Miami’s Little Haiti neighborhood, where a worker said he had never heard of Pierre or Amisphere. Pierre did not return a call for comment.

Yele Haiti also paid $577,185 to a company called Samosa SA, based in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince, as a “bulk water supplier.” But some of that money went to rent a house for Yele Haiti volunteers on Samosa’s property at the inflated price of $35,000 a month.

“Given the fact that Yele Haiti was involved in a swirl of controversy after the earthquake in Haiti, it’s all the more reason to be more transparent to ensure donors that their funds are going to help people,” said the Better Business Bureau’s Bennett Weiner.

Jean and most of the board left Yele in the summer of 2010. Derek Johnson is the new director.

“It’s a clean slate now,” he said.

Source Article at the New York Post

Wyclef Jean issued a formal response:

I started Yele in 2005 because I wanted to help people that were helpless in my home country of Haiti. People who didn’t have a voice, people who didn’t have resources, people who had mostly been forgotten. Since Yele launched six years ago we have helped close to half a million people. I will always love and serve the Haitian people until the day I die.

The NY Post piece entitled, “Questions Dog Wyclef’s Haiti Fund” is misleading, deceptive and incomplete. The Post conveniently fails to acknowledge that the decisions that Yele made were a response to one of the world’s most catastrophic natural disasters in modern history and required an immediate humanitarian response. There were no roads, no clean water, no sanitation, no banks, no electricity, no infrastructure. Immediate decisions were made to save lives and alleviate suffering. We made decisions that enabled us to provide emergency assistance in the midst of chaos and we stand by those decisions. We did the best we could with the available resources. I am proud of the way that Yele handled the crisis on the ground in 2010. We were able to feed, clothe, provide medical assistance and shelter for more than 250 thousand people in need.

What the article doesn’t say is that the construction projects funded by Yele Haiti were responsible for rebuilding an orphanage, building a temporary assistance facility, and had constructed a system of out door toilet and shower facilities in Cite Soliel one of the largest slums in Port-au-Prince.

The Post never highlights that Amisphere Farm Labor was responsible for preparing and delivering close to 100,000 meals. The Samosa SA property referenced by the Post was located in the vicinity of the largest tent camps in Port-au-Prince. Yele chose that location because it was closest to
the people it needed serve.

All of these facts as well as photos and testimonials were readily available to the Post for their story. Unfortunately, they chose not to include these facts and instead chose to imply that Yele “squandered” donors money. Nothing could be further from the truth. Finally, the percentage of funds used is consistent with NGOs and Not For Profits operating in Haiti at the time. I have acknowledged that Yele has made mistakes in the past, including being late in IRS filings, but that is old news. When I entered politics last summer, I transitioned from being a board member and chairman of Yele Haiti to a supporter. The new and good news is that Yele under new leadership, despite efforts to undermine its credibility and effectiveness, continues its mission to serve people in need.

– Wyclef Jean

Source Article

did Wyclef Jean steal Haiti money

Video – Country Singer Chris Young Kicks Bad Fan Out of Rabb’s Concert

November 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM ET – While performing at Rabb’s Steakhouse in Ruston, Louisiana, country music artist Chris Young stops his show to offer an unruly fan a piece of his mind after the guy pushes a female concert attendant in the face. Gotta respect this guy!

Chris Young kicking guy out of concert